The following specifications provide consistent standards for water meter settings in the City of Sheboygan. Based on information obtained from American Water Works Association (AWWA) standards, Badger Meter Inc., and Master Meter Inc., these specifications help to ensure the meter’s accuracy and the safety of workers who must maintain meters.
- Valves: All meter settings must have two new valves (inlet and outlet). In-valves that are 3/4" and 1" in size must be lockable ball valves (locking wing style) and plumbed directly to the meter horn. Valves with handles are not accepted.
- Laying lengths: All Mag meter settings (Model M2000) must have a minimum of three (3) pipe diameters (of straight and unobstructed pipe (no elbows, tees, reducers, or valves)) upstream of the meter and two (2) pipe diameters of unobstructed pipe downstream. 1 1/2" and 2" disc meters, all turbine and compound meters must have a minimum of ten (10) pipe diameters upstream and five (5) pipe diameters downstream.
- Flanges: Flanges for 1 1/2" and 2" meter settings must be brass. Victaulic style flanges and fittings can be used except that the flanges at the meter must be flat flanges. The Utility only stocks flat, drop-in style gaskets.
- Support: All meter settings shall be supported from the wall or floor with full pipe clamps within 6” of the meter flange, but no closer than 3” from the meter flange to allow adequate support and wrenching space. All support hardware must be compatible material to reduce the potential for galvanic action within the piping. Support hardware cannot distort, cut, or abrade the piping and must be sufficiently rigid to support the piping and its contents. Radiator clamps and pipe rests are not acceptable means of support.
- Clearance: All meter settings must maintain a minimum of 18” of unobstructed space from the floor to center pipe of the meter. The center pipe of the meter shall be no higher than 48” from the floor. A minimum of 12” from the wall, or any other obstruction, around the meter flange must be maintained. Bypasses can be built tight to the wall, but 12” of clearance must be maintained between the bypass pipe and meter flange. Bypass valves shall not be more than 60” above the floor. 18” of unobstructed space must be maintained above the meter lens. 36” of unobstructed space must be maintained in front of the meter setting (including valves)
- If multiple meters are stacked, 24” of unobstructed space shall be maintained between the bottom meter, center of pipe and the top meter, center of pipe. If multiple meters are parallel or in a row, 6” of space must be maintained between each meter horn. 36” of unobstructed space must be maintained in front of the meter setting.
All water meters must be installed by Water Utility staff. Contact the Utility meter shop at (920) 459-3814 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule the installation. Up to 60 days might be necessary to order and receive large meters.